In this project, children will learn how to make a times table quiz game, in which the player has to answer as many questions correctly as they can in 30 seconds.
For this project, Scratch 2 should be used. Scratch 2 can either be used online at jumpto.cc/scratch-on or can be downloaded from jumpto.cc/scratch-off and used offline.
You can find a completed version of this project online, or it can be downloaded by clicking the ‘Download Project Materials’ link for this project, which contains:
- This project consolidates learning of previous programming skills learnt, and shows how broadcasts can be used to create a simple game menu system.
- “Changing costumes” - changing how the game character looks in response to correct and incorrect answers;
- “Adding a score” - adding a point for every correct question answered;
- “Start screen” - changing the stage backdrop in response to the
endbroadcast messages, creating 2 game ‘screens’;
- “Improved animation” - using loops and effects to improve the correct/wrong graphics animation;
- “Sound and music” - consolidating learning of music loops and sound effects;
- “Race to 10 points” - changing the game logic to create a new game objective;
- “Instruction screen” - consolidating the use of broadcasts to create a game menu, by adding a new ‘instructions’ button and screen.